Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Road West

Every Monday morning, from March to September I deliver our flowers to Sun Valley. I drive through some pretty amazing country. Climbing gradually through high desert plains I pass three ancient volcanos--known as the buttes--into Arco, famous as the first city to be powered by atomic energy. I ease into the lava flows at Crater's of the Moon, winding along the feet of mountain ranges, wetlands and a natural hot spring, into funky small town Carey. From there the road climbs up over the Queen's Crown--a small windy pass--and into Silver Creek country and my favorite small town, Picabo--hometown of the famous Olympic skier. From Picabo I take the back roads through the Gannet cut into Bellevue, Hailey and finally into Ketchum.

It is always a beautiful drive, full of changing terrain and weather. I have seen antelope, deer and this spring two elk cows, their auburn coats a glowing contrast to the green hills behind them. I keep my eyes peeled for raptors of all shapes and sizes, an amusing assortment of blackbirds, water fowl and cranes. Fat rock chucks salute as I whiz by, sleek and glossy, and once I was challenged by a family of badgers who refused to yield their/my side of the road! (Luckily there was no oncoming traffic enabling me to swing into the other lane.)

I am getting very good at spotting wildlife--but I started traveling with my camera for the truly unexpected encounters like the one I had yesterday. Just outside of Carey I came upon a cattle drive! Yee haw!!


Yeah, that's a semi just ahead and a cowboy making room for him. I was very content to wait my turn and snap photos.

And yes, then this tractor had to squeeze through.

This old cow was giving me the hairy eyeball.

Okay, so the small buff colored animal on the left is a sheep--a lone sheep at the head of the herd--I am sure there is a parable in this.

But this lil' pardner was my fav!
(Can you see how his ears are supporting his hat--a true Idaho cowboy!)
Happy trails to you, until we meet again. Happy trails to you, my friend. Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment