Friday, July 19, 2013

Fresh Cuts: July 22-28



My morning work
 This is my morning wake-up call, buckets and buckets of flowers.   Even though I am in the barn before sunrise, RT has been up for hours cutting.   (He uses a camping headlamp for illumination.  We have NEVER been camping...just saying.)

More of the same

East fields

East fields looking east
Snaps and lavender


Shade house

West fields--just weeks ago I stood on the other side of the suns, on the left, to photograph the fields!  That's broom corn on the right and a partial row of euphorbia and cosmos in the shade.


RT cutting lilies and crocosmia

West fields--BE Susans and matricaria, calendula and lilies in the foreground.


Now, for the flowers this week:

Asclepias orange

Black-eyed Susans

Bells of Ireland

Celosia--cock's comb lime

Clarkia

Clematis recta--second harvest

Cosmos--I know this photo is lame, but you'all keep buying it as fast as we can cut it!  (Thanks BTW)

Crocosmia--again, lame photo, same reason.  Our crocosmia blooms deep rust.

Dahlia--extremely limited number of these gorgeous babies, please call or email to order.

Diablo

Globe thistle
 Grasses:

Canary grass--silvery spear shaped head

Foxtail millet

Quaking grass

Red millet

Switch grass

Explosion grass


Hydrangea "Annabelle"
 A word about hydrangea, many have asked how to re-hydrate hydrangea so here's my secret.  First, always buy fresh hydrangea from Bindweed--ha, ha.  But seriously, I got this tip from Jan Kew, she always adds alum to warm water to hydrate hydrangea, especially if it has been shipped.  I cut this hydrangea last Saturday and conditioned them in the cooler overnight.  Sunday afternoon I added a teaspoon of allum (you find it in the spice section at the grocery store) to two quarts of warm water and voile!  I took this photo this morning.  Notice the green heads, I just cut them a little immature.  I was hoping the allum would make them hydrate and hold and I think I got my wish.

Indigo spire--gorgeous giant blue heads surrounded by lush foliage

Lamb's ear--gi-normous ears and spikes

Larkspur

Bananas!!  Just kidding--Oriental lilies white and an Oriental/trumpet cross that is like a freshly cut mango or apricot

Lisianthus pink

Lysimachia "Firecracker" in flower

And her cousin, lysimachia "gooseneck loosestrife"

Matricaria--buttons and camomile

Monarda--raspberry and blue/purple

Monarda--white

Phlox--blue and purple with a white star/eye

Phlox--white

Queen Anne's Lace--new variety, tighter head, longer vase life

Sage

Scabiosa--blue

Scabios--creamy ivory

Scabiosa--white
Snapdragons:

Bi-color plum blossom

Burgundy on the left, raspberry on the right, we also have that killer coral orange

Sunflowers, ready for delivery


Sweet peas in coral, pink, lavender and white

Verbena--etherial blue head on long wand-like stems

Veronica

Yarrow
Please have a beautiful weekend and call or email to place an order.
Buona settimana!

No comments:

Post a Comment