Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Big Sister, Little Sister

Our granddaughter, Carlee, is officially a Big Sister.  She has been waiting patiently for a long, long, long time.  She found out in May that she was going to be a Big Sister and has been waiting and counting the milestones--her birthday in August, then Christmas and finally her Little Sister was born January 2.  She was born a bit too early so she had to stay in NICU and Big Sisters are not allowed in NICU.  Finally, fifteen days later Kennedy came home and Carlee finally got to meet her Little Sister.





Being a Big Sister can rock your world...which is good and bad.



I became a Big Sister for the first time when I was two.  It changes you...you are not the center of the universe, you must now share your parents, your toys, your world.  This can really expand consciousness and kick start all the nurturing instincts but at the same time it can interrupt a carefree childhood.  I do not remember a time that did not feel responsible for my little sisters and that feeling shaped me, my relationship to them and to the world.  It can be confusing.  In second grade my dad gave it to me serious when some kid at the bus stop teased my little sister so the next day when I sent him home with a bloody nose I figured he would be proud of me, he wasn't. Like I said, confusing--where does sibling responsibility begin and end?  My sisters would tell you I was bossy, I would say responsible.  They might tell you I was overbearing, but I was just very protective.  They might even say I was a bit domineering but I was just trying to fulfill expectations, filling a leadership role.

That is just the way it is with Big Sisters and Little Sisters.  Good luck, Carlee, I am right there with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment