Sunday, February 5, 2012

Curried Coconut Dahl with Yellow Squash


On my recent ski trip to Harriman I was in charge of supper.  I knew I wanted to serve something spicy and hearty because cross country skiing can really build an appetite.  We were camping in a yurt and I would be cooking by headlamp over a Colman stove so I needed something that could travel and just need a bit of reheating.  And I wanted to use the saffron my good friend and hostess, Trish, had given me.  I decided to make a curried coconut dahl that I would serve over saffron rice...it was perfect.  I decided that I could cook rice just about anywhere and that it would taste best if cooked on-site but I prepared the dahl before our trip.  The results were phenomenal.

I love cooking lentils, I love their texture and flavor and I love the color of these red/orange lentils.  They cook so quickly that in a very short time you can serve a rich colorful soul refreshing soup or curry.  This recipe is in three parts, three very easy parts.  The trick is to prepare all the ingredients before you start cooking.  Once all the ingredients are ready to go this recipe goes together very quickly.
 
Part I:
2 ½ cups. squash*, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 in. cubes
1 c. split red lentils
4 cups water
1-1 ½ tsp. salt
1 bay leaf

Put the red lentils into a sieve and run water over them for a few minutes to rinse them and then put them in with all of the first part ingredients into a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil.  Skim off any scum that rises up, reduce the heat and cook for 15 min.  Check to see if the squash and lentils are done, if not, continue to cook and check in five minute increments.  Keep an eye on the water level.  When squash and lentils are tender remove from heat and cover the saucepan.

  Part II:
2 TBS Canola oil
1 onion, diced small
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 in. piece of ginger, peeled and minced or grated
½ tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. coriander powder
1 tsp. cumin powder
½ tsp. turmeric powder
¼ tsp. cayenne powder
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes


Meanwhile, heat a sauté pan on medium heat and add the oil and then the onions.  Cook the onions until they are translucent and tender, salting to taste.  Just before onions are perfectly cooked add the ginger and garlic.  Cook for one minute and then add the rest of the spices.  Cook for another minute until this mixture is rich in fragrance and then add this mixture to the lentils and squash.   

Part III:
1 14 oz. can of coconut milk
¼ c. fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped

Stir to combine and then add the coconut milk and reheat to just about boiling.  You now have dahl.  This dahl can be enjoyed as a rich winter soup in bowls garnished with fresh coriander or as a heartier meal served with rice.  We like it especially served in a large open bowl to the side of saffron rice with lots of fresh coriander/cilantro and lime wedges.


No comments:

Post a Comment